Zoom Meetings have become increasingly popular in recent years, especially as people were forced to stay home with Covid19 lockdowns, and adopt a ‘work from home’ lifestyle. With this in mind, this article will provide you with tips on facilitating Zoom meetings online, powered by ChatGPT.
As people increasingly gain access to mobile devices and the Internet, they’re meeting with one another over the internet (and in person) more than ever before, and often for free!
Humans being social, sorta.. 🤔
Companies, organizations, schools and other institutions are conducting many of their meetings online, in cyber space, and as some would say, within the Metaverse. Especially as some organizations explore using augmented and virtual reality technologies within the workspace.
With that said, I’ve found myself in a position where I must prepare to facilitate an online Zoom Meeting, so I thought I would share some of my findings with you.
One of the tools I used to learn about what I need to do consider to be a successful online chat and zoom meeting facilitator was Google.
- How to facilitate a Zoom meeting via Zapier
- The Basics of Designing & Facilitating Meetings | MIT Human Resources via Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Zoom Guide for Facilitators via University of Southern California
- 10 tips for facilitating your next Zoom meeting via Corona Insights
- How to facilitate engaging online meetings with Zoom via UnityEffect
Another source, was YouTube, of course… nothing new.
A Time Zone Clock website was also helpful, especially when engaging with people in other time zones across planet Earth: www.worldtimebuddy.com Mind you, I’ve made time conversion mistakes prior to using this tool, so let’s see how it goes. Fingers crossed. Making mistakes is a natural part of learning something new, right?
A more unusual tool I used was ChatGPT AI.
My question to ChatGPT:
Tips for zoom meeting facilitators?
Here are some tips for Zoom meeting facilitators to help ensure that their meetings run smoothly and effectively:
- Be prepared: Prepare an agenda for the meeting and send it out to participants in advance. This will help ensure that everyone is on the same page and knows what to expect.
- Test your technology: Make sure you have a reliable internet connection, a good quality microphone, and a functioning camera. Test your equipment in advance to avoid any technical issues during the meeting.
- Set clear expectations: At the beginning of the meeting, set clear expectations for how the meeting will be conducted, including rules for speaking, use of chat and other features, and how decisions will be made.
- Encourage participation: Encourage all participants to contribute to the meeting by asking for their input and feedback. Use polls, breakout rooms, and other interactive features to engage participants and encourage discussion.
- Manage the meeting time: Keep track of the time and make sure the meeting stays on schedule. If necessary, cut off lengthy discussions or suggest that certain topics be discussed offline.
- Take notes: Assign someone to take notes or record the meeting so that participants can refer back to the discussion later.
- End the meeting on a positive note: End the meeting with a summary of what was discussed and any action items or next steps. Thank everyone for their participation and encourage them to stay engaged with the project or team.
By following these tips, Zoom meeting facilitators can help ensure that their meetings are productive, engaging, and effective.
Try ChatGPT here: https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/
Psyched by ChatGPI, I asked my new AI chatbot friend for the same information in a few different ways.
See below for a slightly more detailed variant.
Question to ChatGPT:
Create an elaborate guide for zoom meeting facilitators
As a Zoom meeting facilitator, your role is critical in ensuring that the meeting runs smoothly and achieves its objectives. Here is an elaborate guide for you to become an effective Zoom meeting facilitator:
Before the meeting, you should make sure that you have all the necessary information and resources to make the meeting a success. This includes the agenda, materials, and technology requirements for the meeting. You should also ensure that all participants have received the necessary information to join the meeting, including the meeting link and any required passwords.
2.Set the Stage:
Once the meeting starts, you should introduce yourself and welcome the participants. This will help to establish a connection with the participants and set the tone for the meeting. You should also go over the meeting objectives and agenda to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
3. Manage Technology:
As a Zoom meeting facilitator, you will be responsible for managing the technology throughout the meeting. This includes starting and ending the meeting, muting and unmuting participants, sharing your screen, and using the chat and other features to enhance communication. You should also troubleshoot any technology issues that arise during the meeting.
4. Encourage Participation:
One of the most important roles of a Zoom meeting facilitator is to encourage participation from all participants. You can do this by asking questions, inviting feedback, and encouraging discussion. You should also ensure that everyone has the opportunity to contribute to the meeting and that their views are heard and acknowledged.
5. Manage Time:
It is essential to manage time effectively during a Zoom meeting. This includes sticking to the agenda, keeping discussions on track, and ensuring that the meeting ends on time. You should also manage any disruptions or delays that arise during the meeting.
6. Summarize and Follow Up:
At the end of the meeting, you should summarize the key points discussed and ensure that everyone is clear on the next steps. You should also follow up with participants after the meeting to ensure that they have everything they need to take action on the decisions made during the meeting.
In summary, as a Zoom meeting facilitator, your role is critical in ensuring that the meeting runs smoothly and achieves its objectives. By preparing effectively, setting the stage, managing technology, encouraging participation, managing time, and summarizing and following up, you can become an effective facilitator and make a significant contribution to the success of the meeting.
ChatGPT is surprisingly useful and impressive, but allow me to refocus on advice for facilitating Zoom meetings.
A few tips that have yet to be mentioned.
- Review all of the features and settings on your Zoom app, whether on your phone, tablet or computer, as it may be slightly different on each device. You also want to have some settings set in advance, too ensure an optimal meeting experience.
- Ensure you know how to set/remove screen sharing capabilities, as well as how to mute participants, as well as remove them from the meeting. People will try and “Zoom Bomb” a meeting with inappropriate behavior, whether they’re saying things, showing NSFW content through screen sharing and so on. Be prepared to handle these trouble makers, and use your judgement when allowing new folks into the room.
- Communicate with co-hosts ahead of time, so everyone is on the same page with regard to their roles and tasks.
- Be confident and have fun!
- Start Strong, End Stronger, as people forget what’s in the middle, but usually remember the beginning and the end. Especially the end, so make it count!
Hopefully you’ll find this article useful and informative.
Do share and subscribe if you’d like.
Till next time!